Sunday, February 9, 2020

Our Love Story: Part 17.1 | First Comes Love, Then Comes Marriage...

"Here's the thing about this love story of ours. It's long. And drawn out. And mushy-gushy. And even a bit cheesy. But it's true. And I've decided to take my time writing it, capturing all the special details of those moments I never want to forget. So if mushy-gushy, cheesy love stories aren't your thing, I totally get that. Just know that I'm writing this as a gift - to my family, and my children, and their future children - and also, for [Parker] and me - so that on those days when the kids are screaming, the laundry is overflowing and the bills are rolling in...on those days when it all just seems so hard, we'll have this to remind us of those first moments when we fell in love. And if sappy, detail ridden love stories are your thing, well then you've come to the right place." -Ashley Stock

To read the beginning of Our Love Story, click here.

Parker and I were married for time and all eternity in the Cardston Alberta Temple on Friday, February 14, 2014 (yes, Valentine's Day). We picked that particular day because both of us were students and the following Monday happened to be a holiday in the states so that gave us a teeny tiny honeymoon before heading right back to school. We drove up to Canada on the evening of the 12th and had great weather the entire time. Our friends from school, many of which were in the bridal party, came up the following day and hit a white-out blizzard that took them off the road a time or two. We were grateful to have missed the ugly weather and that everyone arrived safe and sound!

We spent Thursday prepping for the wedding. My angel mother and her angel mother planned the most beautiful celebration and we couldn't have been happier about it! It was a really fun day (for me, maybe more stressful for some) to set up the cultural hall with our family and friends and to see everything come together. There were a few other angels that were really, really helpful and stayed well past everyone else to put up the finishing touches with my mom and I know she was super grateful for their help, as was I. I could hardly sleep that night because I was so excited!!

The next morning, again, we lucked out and it happened to be the nicest day of that entire winter in Cardston. I had prayed HARD for no wind and we were blessed with not a hint of a breeze until later when we were already at the reception and safely indoors. Yes, it was cold because, duh, winter in Canada, but the sun was shining and I was oh so grateful that my prayers had been answered.

I loved having my posse of girls there to help me get ready. @hairbybrigitte came over to do my hair, my mom and sisters were there to watch and assist with makeup, putting on my dress, and jewelry, etc. My sister-in-law Rylie also helped with makeup and with painting my nails. We started the festivities with bridal photos that began with 'the first look' and gosh it was fun to see Parker's reaction when he saw me in my dress for the first time. He looked sooooo handsome that day!

We continued on with bridals up until just about when it was time for us to arrive at the temple and we had such a blast with our photographer, Kaylee Ralph of Kaylee Ralph Photography. She captured our special day perfectly!

Let's chat about my dress for a minute, shall we? My mom, Nana, and I went shopping in Calgary over Christmas break and what a fun time we had! I said yes to the dress at Blissful Bridal. I had a few things I really wanted in my dress: a boat neck, longer sleeves, and pockets. When we initially found the dress it was strapless with a sweetheart neckline if you can believe it! It came with two triangular pieces of lacey, beaded fabric that could be attached to the bodice in the front and back to give cap sleeves and a little bit of a keyhole back and while I was standing in the mirror with the dress on, we played around with these two pieces of fabric and figured we could maybe, just maybe use them to build up the bodice to a much higher neckline with a boatneck. The dress originally had a long train and I knew I didn't want to wear super high heels so there was a lot of extra fabric that could be taken off the bottom and that was used to build the sleeves, the back of the dress, and to go under the lacey pieces to build up the front. You couldn't even tell that it had been altered once the seamstress, Miranda Layton, was done with it because her work was so beautiful! She continued the intricate beadwork all the way up the bodice to make it all flow and I instantly fell even more in love with the added details like the buttons on the sleeves and the scalloped neckline.

Parker's suit was from Men's Warehouse. No idea where we go the tie hahaha. My memory is WEAK! But alllllll the heart eyes for this guy!

Hubba hubba!

We gradually made our way to the temple while taking bridals so we could simply go on in when it was time to officially get hitched!


When Parker and I walked into the sealing room at the temple and I saw everyone who was there to support us, I broke down. Like ugly cried and sobbed because of the overwhelming feeling of love in that room. I don't know if I have ever felt so much love all at once. I felt indescribable love for Parker, for all of the people in that room, and for my Heavenly Father and Savior, but I also felt so strongly of their love for me. I still get a little bit teary when I think about that moment to this day. 

To be continued...

To read the beginning of Our Love Story, click here!

No comments :

Post a Comment